Sunday, February 3, 2013

Last week in the welding department

My last week in the welding department has now come to a close. After four weeks, I feel like I have learned a tremendous amount from all the guys that I worked with, and I enjoyed working with each of them. These past three weeks working on the Bangladesh 38's have taught me so much about the construction and even the design of the boats. I really was able to get to work and actually be a real hands on player with this crew of guys. They let me tack weld, they let me fit and cut parts and just let me be one of the crew. During some lunches I got to try my hand at real MIG welding with the guidance of some of the guys on the crew.Once they realized that I could read assembly drawings, I became the go-to guy when building the pilothouses for how things went together, and for running back and forth between the engineering office when there were clarifications needed. Everyone in the welding department has gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and to teach me as much as possible in my time there. Like I said, the welding department was an awesome experience. Now, I move on to the rigging department. Rigging is where they put everything that isn't the aluminum structure onto the boat. I will let you know how it goes at the end of next week.

T.J. Brackin


No comments:

Post a Comment