Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Good Week at the Office and Enjoying Louisiana

Good evening!
This post is from Eric H

I have been working on a boat that is going to be going to Uganda for the last little while and I was told that I am able to put up a couple pictures of the renderings for y'all to see. The boat itself wont be done till I have left Metal Shark after these two months, but I was told by its designer that he would send me videos of testing and its use!

One thing that is very different between a computer screen and the production floor is the sheer scale of these things. I had been working on a 36 foot dive support vessel for the USN and on paper it didn't seem all that large, but then i went out today and saw the vessel on the production floor (the first one is going to be done with welding at the end of this week) and realized how large 36 feet actually is. Especially for a trailerable boat. Its going to be a nice boat, a bit ungainly to look at, but a cool work boat regardless.

Another boat that I worked on was a 25 foot vessel for the USN that is going to be used for oil spill cleanup. It is a little tiny boat compared to the 36 foot vessel but it still really cool. The cockpit (since it is a closed center console) is a tiny little compartment but both Connor Bennett and myself agree that the cockpit looks like Darth Vader's mask (its kinda really awesome ^.^ ). I enjoy the work I'm doing here so much.

Also I was on the shop floor for a bit tonight measuring what a piece of metal should have been cut to so that I could fix it and re-send it to the router shop. Its a pretty awesome job that I have as an internship.

Anywho, i think thats enough for tonight because I need things to talk about later!

I have included some more photos with captions below. =]



Below are some photos that i took from my office and on the road of sunrises and sunsets:






Now for some more boats ^.^

Please note the fellow on the stern gunwale who is watching to make sure it didn't hit the truck or Connor Bennett's mustang

One of the HSMST target boats attached to a tow hitch

And finally a few more random shots:

The tailgate says "Candy Dripper 3." I don't even know where this came from, it was just in the parking lot a few days ago.

TJ getting materials from the inside of the boat for welding practice during lunch

About two seconds later the arc was struck so I snapped a quick photo and then looked away really really fast, lol

Well I hope to have entertained again this evening, and I hope that y'all have a good one!

Signing off,
Eric Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment